I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! If you’re ready to take a break from the turkey, these Savory Gluten-Free Breakfast Biscuits are an easy to make breakfast treat. Just so you know, I am beginning to experiment with some affiliate links. If you buy something through one of my links, I do receive a small compensation–just trying to help fund the blog to cover my expenses.
I’ll admit it. Breakfast is a challenge for me. I just don’t eat it very often. The days I do want something, I just don’t have time to cook. This is why I’m always on the lookout for easy recipes that I can make ahead and simply reheat. These Savory Gluten-Free Biscuits work perfectly, and they are easy to eat on the go.
My savory biscuits were inspired by Up Late Anyway’s Almond Flour Biscuits, which are delicious, and a high school boyfriend’s mother who used to make sausage biscuits. This experiment has been rumbling around in my brain for about a month now, and I was definitely happy with the final result. These biscuits are moist and delicious, none of that dry, crumbly texture that happens with many gluten-free bread products.
You will need blanched almond flour, not almond meal, for this recipe, but it is easy to find in many grocery stores. I order mine from Amazon, simply because the price is substantially lower. I actually find that to be the case with many of the specialty flours I’ve begun using.
This recipe is fairly easy. First whisk together all your dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the cold, diced butter.
Mash the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork tines or pastry cutter. You should end up with a crumble texture. I don’t think my texture was perfect, but the biscuits still turned out just fine.
Add half and half and an egg, and stir until well blended. Fold in the cheese, spinach, and sausage. (I used sausage seasoned with thyme and sage that I had frozen from a previous recipe.) Your dough will be a little sticky, but don’t worry, it cooks up perfectly.
Separate the dough into 4 equal portions and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes in a 350ºF oven. Serve warm. Allow to cool before storing in an airtight container for up to a week in the refrigerator.
These savory biscuits turned out even better than I expected. You gotta love it when that happens!
PIN THIS RECIPE FOR LATER:
- 1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons cold butter, diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2/3 cup frozen spinach, thawed and rough chopped
- 2/3 cup crumbled sausage
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together the almond flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder in a bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter to mash the butter into the dry ingredients. (A fork also works if you don't have a pastry cutter.) You want the dry ingredients to be a cumbly mixture.
- Add the half and half and the egg, and stir until the ingredients are blended.
- Fold in the cheese, spinach, and sausage.
- Create 4 equal size portions, and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Enjoy. Allow to cool before storing in an airtight container for up to a week in the refrigerator.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 545Total Fat 48gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 30gCholesterol 112mgSodium 849mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 7gSugar 3gProtein 20g
Note: Nutritional information is an approximation. Different brands and/or quantities will change the nutrition profile.