Wow--all I can say is that you really have to make Bacon Wrapped Asparagus. I made them a few years ago for Thanksgiving at my brother's house, and everyone loved them. Although these are a holiday worthy side, they're easy enough to make any time of the year. Last week, I wanted to make them again to accompany a roast on the smoker and my Cheesy, Smokey Scalloped Potatoes, but I couldn't find the recipe I used before.
Thank goodness a quick internet search turned up a very similar recipe from Trisha Yearwood on Food Network. I switched out a few ingredients to keep mine gluten-free and refined sugar free, but her recipe is on the money as far as flavor goes.
Begin by trimming the woody ends of the asparagus. Divide the asparagus into ten bundles of three to four spears each. Wrap each bundle with a slice of bacon, and place each bundle in a lightly greased baking dish.
Preheat the oven to 400ºF. In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the coconut sugar, coconut aminos, garlic powder, and pepper to the butter. Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring ocaisionally.
Pour the sauce over the asparagus bundles, and roast in the oven for about thirty minutes. Asparagus will be slightly wilted, and bacon should be cooked through.
Enjoy these bundles of goodness nice and warm.
- 1 ½ pounds asparagus
- 10 slices bacon
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Trim the hard ends of the asparagus, and divide into 10 bundles (about 3-4 spears each). Wrap each bundle with the bacon, and place in a lightly greased baking dish.
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add the coconut sugar, cocnut aminos, garlic powder, and black pepper. Bring the sauce to a boil, stirring frequently.
- Pour the sauce over the asparagus, and roast for about 30 minutes. Asparagus will be slightly wilted, and bacon should be fully cooked.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 473Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 18gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 89mgSodium 758mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 4gSugar 27gProtein 14g
Note: Nutritional information is an approximation. Different brands and/or quantities will change the nutrition profile.